Welcome to the SCV2 FLuSHED Study Webpage.
Please feel free to reach out to the FLuSHED study team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-454-8497 or 314-747-4041 with any questions or concerns.
- SARS-CoV-2 (SCV2) is the virus that causes COVID-19.
- People infected with SCV2 can spread the virus and shed the virus in their stool whether they have symptoms or not.
- Wastewater testing detects the SCV2 virus from people with COVID-19 symptoms as well as people without COVID-19 symptoms.
- This is useful because not all people with COVID-19 see a physician or have a positive test.
- Wastewater testing allows for early detection of COVID-19 outbreaks in the community.
The SCV2 FLuSHED Study will enroll people who recently tested positive for COVID-19 to determine:
- How different COVID-19 symptoms and variants affect how much of the virus is shed in stool
- How previous infections with and/or vaccinations against COVID-19 affect how much of the virus is shed in stool
- How long people with COVID-19 shed the virus in their stool
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Had a positive test for COVID-19
- Started having COVID-19 symptoms within the last 7 days
- Are age 5 years or older
- Live in the St. Louis metro area
Participation includes collecting the following:
- Stool specimens: once per week for 35 days
- Nasal swabs: once per week for 35 day
- Finger sticks and (optional) blood draws: once at enrollment and once at Day 35
- Surveys: once per week for 35 days
This study is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.