The Infectious Diseases Clinic, in addition to HIV Care, offers HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), a daily pill to reduce the risk of HIV infection.
We are the only academic medical center in the nation that is affiliated with pharmacy-based PrEP care and offer the only model of its kind in the state of Missouri. We have a collaborative practice agreement with Gateway Apothecary Pharmacy that will provide PrEP care and medications for patients, by appointment and referral only. The pharmacy conducts HIV testing, kidney monitoring, PrEP adherence and risk reduction counseling. In addition, a referral network is set up for primary care, mental health, substance use, and extensive STD testing.
When taken every day, PrEP provides a high level of protection against HIV, especially when combined with condoms.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be committed to seeing a doctor and getting blood work every 3 months
- Have health insurance or be able to make other payment arrangements
Clinic appointments: 314-362-9098
In the news
- Website launched providing resources for pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV, or PrEP
- Imagine a Better St. Louis: Urging people to get tested for HIV
- A drug designed to treat HIV continues move into new role – prevention
- Access to PrEP: A “Game Changer” for HIV
- St. Louis reacts to Charlie Sheen going public over his HIV status
- Dr. Rupa Patel Discusses HIV