Dr. Boon is an associate professor of Medicine, Molecular Microbiology and Pathology and Immunology at Washington University. He specializes in basic research on RNA viruses, with a special focus on emerging virus such as influenza virus, Bourbon virus and SARS-CoV-2. His laboratory is developing animal models for SARS-CoV-2 and Bourbon virus that are used to evaluate the efficacy of antiviral countermeasures against these viruses. Dr. Boon is also interested in understanding genome reassortment of influenza viruses, which is an important for the generation of pandemic viruses. The laboratory has developed the Syrian hamster COVID-19 animal model for SARS-CoV-2 and has access to dedicated biosafety level 3 laboratories.
He is currently mentoring four post-doctoral fellows and one graduate student. Dr. Boon was also a mentor for Global Health Mentoring Program aimed to prepare young scientists for a career in Global Health. Previously, he has mentored a post-doctoral fellow and five undergraduate students. He successfully graduated two graduate students, and served on more than 10 qualifying committees and thirty thesis committees.
- Masters Degree in Medical Biology: University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1997)
- Graduate Thesis w/ Prof. ADME Osterhaus: Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands (2003)
- Post-doctoral Fellow: Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands (2005)
- Post-doctoral Fellow: St Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN (2011)
- Bricker TL, Darling TL, Hassan AO, Harastani HH, Soung A, Jiang X, Dai YN, Zhao H, Adams LJ, Holtzman MJ, Bailey AL, Case JB, Fremont DH, Klein R, Diamond MS, Boon ACM. A single intranasal or intramuscular immunization with chimpanzee adenovirus-vectored SARS-CoV-2 vaccine protects against pneumonia in hamsters. Cell Rep. 2021 Jul 20;36(3):109400. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109400.
- Chen RE, Winkler ES, Case JB, Aziati ID, Bricker TL, Joshi A, Darling TL, Ying B, Errico JM, Shrihari S, VanBlargan LA, Xie X, Gilchuk P, Zost SJ, Droit L, Liu Z, Stumpf S, Wang D, Handley SA, Stine WB Jr, Shi PY, Davis-Gardner ME, Suthar MS, Knight MG, Andino R, Chiu CY, Ellebedy AH, Fremont DH, Whelan SPJ, Crowe JE Jr, Purcell L, Corti D, Boon ACM, Diamond MS. In vivo monoclonal antibody efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 variant strains. Nature. 2021 Aug;596(7870):103-108. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03720-y PMID: 34153975
- Bricker TL, Shafiuddin M, Gounder AP, Janowski AB, Zhao G, Williams GD, Jagger BW, Diamond MS, Bailey T, Kwon JH, Wang D, Boon ACM. Therapeutic efficacy of favipiravir against Bourbon virus in mice. PLoS Pathog. 2019 Jun;15(6):e1007790. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1007790. PMID: 31194854