Patrick R. Ching, MD, MPH
Second Year Fellow
Dr. Patrick Ching is currently a second-year fellow. He received his medical degree and clinical epidemiology training from University of the Philippines in Manila. He worked at the National Institutes of Health in Manila studying HIV, STIs and parasitic infections. After obtaining his master’s degree in public health (biostatistics/epidemiology) from Harvard, he became part of the Center for Evidence-Based Imaging at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He finished his internal medicine residency training at University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus in Baltimore, Maryland where he also served as chief resident.
“I chose WUSM for fellowship training because I felt that the program will help me become the best infectious disease physician that I can be. It is a well-rounded program with strong clinical orientation, endless research opportunities and excellent mentorship from world experts. St. Louis is a vibrant and affordable city with lots of events, restaurants, and attractions.”
- BS Psychology: University of the Philippines, Quezon City, Philippines (2005), magna cum laude
- Doctor of Medicine: University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines (2010)
- Diploma in Epidemiology (Clinical Epidemiology): University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines (2016)
- Master of Public Health (Quantitative Methods): Harvard University, Boston, MA (2017)
- Residency, Internal Medicine: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD (2021)
- Chief Residency, Internal Medicine: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD (2021)
- Presidential Scholar, University of the Philippines (2003-2010)
- magna cum laude, University of the Philippines (2005)
- Outstanding Social Science Scholar, Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society in Social Sciences (2005)
- IDSA/IDWeek Mentorship Program Mentee (2019)
- Outstanding Poster Presenter, American College of Gastroenterology Annual Scientific Meeting (2019)
- Excellence in Ambulatory Medicine Award, University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus (2021)
I have joined TV game shows.
- Ching PR, Meddeb M, Marciniak ET, Rubin JN, Kim RE. Oesophageal necrosis and pneumomediastinum: always examine x-rays assiduously. Lancet 2020;395(10231):e66.
- Salvana EMT, Schwem BE, Ching PR, Frost SDW, Ganchua SKC, Itable JR. The changing molecular epidemiology of HIV in the Philippines. Int J Infect Dis 2017;61:44-50.
- Doub JB, Heil EL, Ntem-Mensah A, Neeley R, Ching PR. Rifabutin use in Staphylococcus biofilm infections: A case series. Antibiotics 2020;9(6):326.