Dr. Durkin is the co-director of antimicrobial stewardship and an associate hospital epidemiologist at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. He is also the medical director of infection prevention and antibiotic stewardship at Barnes Jewish St. Peters and Progress West Hospitals.
Dr. Durkin uses administrative data to identify opportunities to improve antibiotic prescribing in outpatient settings, with a focus on outpatient and community settings; harnesses survey and qualitative research methods to identify potential solutions based on input from frontline providers; and designs, pilot tests, and disseminates antibiotic stewardship interventions using dissemination & implementation science and informatics technology. He has received grant funding from the CDC, NIH, Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, the Foundation for Barnes-Jewish Hospital, and the Pew Charitable Trusts. He has evaluated the impact of aerosols in dental environments during the COVID-19 pandemic. He has also worked with infectious diseases fellows and faculty to implement quality improvement bundles for persons who inject drugs as part of a CDC-funded contract. He attends on the general infectious diseases, general medicine, and bone and joint services teaching fellows, residents, and students. He also sees patients in general infectious diseases clinic.
He is currently mentoring infectious diseases fellows and residents in antimicrobial stewardship, qualitative research methods, and administrative data. Dr. Durkin particularly enjoys mentoring fellows who are interested in careers in clinical research.
- Associate Hospital Epidemiologist, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- Medical Director of Infection Prevention, Barnes St. Peters Hospital, St. Peters, MO
- Medical Director of Infection Prevention, Progress West Hospital, O’Fallon, MO
- Co-Director of Antimicrobial Stewardship Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- 2021 Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
- BA, Biology: Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, IL (2004)
- Medical Degree: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI (2008)
- Residency, Internal Medicine: Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO (2011)
- MPH: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC (2015)
- Fellowship, Infectious Diseases: Duke University, Durham, NC (2015)
- Internal Medicine
- Sayood SJ, Venkatram C, Newland JG, Babcock HM, Warren DK, Turabelidze G, McKay VR, Rachmiel EC, Peacock K, Habrock-Bach T, Hsueh K, Durkin MJ. Experiences from the Missouri Antimicrobial Stewardship Collaborative: A mixed methods study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020 Dec;41(12):1455-1457.
- Durkin MJ, Hsueh K, Sallah YH, Feng Q, Jafarzadeh SR, Munshi KD, Lockhart PB, Thornhill MH, Henderson RR, Fraser VJ; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Epicenters. An evaluation of dental antibiotic prescribing practices in the United States. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017 Dec;148(12):878-886.e1.
- Marks LR, Liang SY, Muthulingam D, Schwarz ES, Liss DB, Munigala S, Warren DK, Durkin MJ. Evaluation of Partial Oral Antibiotic Treatment for Persons Who Inject Drugs and Are Hospitalized With Invasive Infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Dec 17;71(10):e650-e656.