The Leung Lab is focused on developing a mechanistic understanding of host-pathogen interactions that contribute to viral pathogenesis through immune evasion. We use a multidisciplinary approach to characterize select non-segmented, negative sense RNA viruses, including respiratory syncytial virus and Ebola virus, to identify critical targets that can be used as a basis to develop therapeutics or vaccine candidates.
- BA Biology: Amherst College, Amherst MA (1997)
- PhD Molecular Biophysics: UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX (2005)
- Pei J, Beri N, Zou AJ, Andrews J, Hubel P, Bergant V, Andrews RD, Pan J, Dorando H, Sheehan KCF, Pichlmair A, Amarasinghe GK, Brody SL, Payton JE, and Leung DW. Nuclear-localized human respiratory syncytial virus NS1 protein modulates host gene transcription. 2021. In press at Cell Reports.
- Pei J, Wagner ND, Zou AJ, Chatterjee S, Borek D, Cole AR, Kim PJ, Basler CF, Otwinowski Z, Gross ML, Amarasinghe GK, Leung DW. Structural basis for IFN antagonism by human respiratory syncytial virus nonstructural protein 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021 Mar 9;118(10):e2020587118. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2020587118. PMID: 33649232
- Amatya P, Wagner N, Chen G, Luthra P, Shi L, Borek M, Pavlenco A, Rohrs H, Basler CF, Amarasinghe GK, Sidhu SS, Gross ML, and Leung DW. Marburg virus RNA synthesis is inhibited by a synthetic anti-VP35 antibody. ACS Infect Dis. 2019 May 23. doi: 10.1021/acsinfecdis.9b00091. PMID: 31120240
- Chatterjee S, Luthra P, Esaulova E, Agapov E, Yen BC, Borek, DM, Edwards MR, Mittal A, Jordan DS, Ramanan P, Moore ML, Pappu RV, Holtzman MJ, Artyomov M, Basler CF, Amarasinghe GK, Leung DW. Structural basis for human respiratory syncytial virus NS1-mediated modulation of host responses. Nature Microbiology. 2017 Jun 30;2:17101. doi: 10.1038/nmicrobiol.2017.101. PMID: 28665409