William Dunagan, MD, MS
Professor of Medicine
- Senior Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer for BJC HealthCare
- Director, Center for Clinical Excellence
- BES: University of Texas, Austin, TX (1978)
- MS: Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, TX (1980)
- Medical Degree: Washington University, St. Louis, MO (1983)
- Residency: Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO (1986)
- Fellowship: Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (1988)
- Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
Infectious diseases, antimicrobial therapy.
Dr. Dunagan’s primary research focus is in the assessment and improvement of healthcare quality, with a particular emphasis on patient safety research, medical informatics and infection prevention. Current work emphasizes the collection of rigorous standardized quality data for assessing the effectiveness, safety and experience of care, and interventions to reduce preventable adverse events for patients receiving healthcare. He is also interested in the examination of large databases for epidemiological assessments of predictors of low quality care and adverse outcomes. Insights gained from these analyses can be used to create and test expert computer systems to enhance quality of care delivery. Other lines of investigation include survey research concerning attitudes and perceptions of patients, employees and physicians with regard to patient safety, technology assessment and cost benefit analyses.