- Assistant Dean for Curriculum and Clinical Sciences, Office of Medical Student Education
Steven J. Lawrence, MD, MSc
Associate Professor of Medicine
- BS: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, IN (1992)
- Medical Degree: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (1997)
- Residency: Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO (2000)
- Fellowship, Infectious Diseases: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (2003)
- MSc: University of London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England (2004)
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty of Infectious Diseases
- Distinguished Faculty-ID Teaching Award, Dept of Medicine House Staff (2016)
- Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Award in Medical Student Education (2016)
- Carole B. and Jerome T. Loeb Teaching Fellow for (2016-18)
- Distinguished Service-Clinical Teacher of the Year Award, WUSM Class of 2017
- Distinguished Service Teaching Award, WUSM Class of 2017, 2018, 2019
Dr. Lawrence’s research interests focus on the human immune response to viral infections and vaccines, the epidemiology of infections in solid organ and stem cell transplant recipients, and public health preparedness for pandemic COVID-19, Delta and other variants, pandemic influenza and bioterrorism events. Current and recently completed research projects involve comparative analyses of antibody responses to various smallpox vaccines (in collaboration with Drs. Sharon Frey and Robert Belshe at Saint Louis University), the epidemiology of influenza and pneumococcal disease in transplant patients, the effect of statins in influenza patient outcomes, vaccine and antiviral treatment clinical trials in immunocompromised patients, and the effect of using a ventilator triage protocol on critical care resource utilization during a severe influenza pandemic.
- COVID-19 Related Medical Mistrust, Health Impacts, and Potential Vaccine Hesitancy Among Black Americans Living With HIV.Bogart LM, Ojikutu BO, Tyagi K, Klein DJ, Mutchler MG, Dong L, Lawrence SJ, Thomas DR, Kellman S.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Feb 1;86(2):200-207. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002570.PMID: 33196555 Free PMC article.
- Reopening Colleges and Universities During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Wrighton MS, Lawrence SJ.Ann Intern Med. 2020 Oct 20;173(8):664-665. doi: 10.7326/M20-4752. Epub 2020 Jul 2.PMID: 32614640 Free PMC article.