- Faculty Scholar, Washington University Institute of Public Health, (2014- present
- Member, Institute for Clinical and Translational Science
Peter U. Fischer, PhD
Professor of Medicine
- MS: University of Berlin, Germany (1991)
- PhD Zoology: University of Hamburg, Germany (1996)
- D.Sc. Parasitology: University of Hamburg, Germany (2004)
Adjunct Professor, Universitas Indonesia, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Parasitology, Jakarta, Indonesia (2017)
Peter U. Fischer, PhD is the Co-PI of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation-funded DOLF project and an international expert on helminth parasites.
Dr. Fischer specializes in basic and translational sciences to support the control and elimination of neglected tropical diseases, with a special focus on helminths. He studies parasitic worms not only in the lab but also in the field and develops new diagnostic and treatment strategies. His research includes also One Health aspects of helminth infections, the study of helminth/endosymbiont and helminth/microbiome interactions. He performs much of his field research in resource poor settings in Africa and Asia.
He is currently mentoring fellows, postdocs and students in the field of molecular microbiology, parasitology and global health. He advises researchers not only in the lab in St. Louis but also during field research in Africa and Asia.
- Supali T, Djuardi Y, Christian M, Iskandar E, Alfian R, Maylasari R, Destani Y, Lomiga A, Minggu D, Lew D, Bogus J, Weil GJ, Fischer PU. An open label, randomized clinical trial to compare the tolerability and efficacy of ivermectin plus diethylcarbamazine and albendazole vs. diethylcarbamazine plus albendazole for treatment of brugian filariasis in Indonesia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Mar;15(3):e0009294. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0009294. eCollection 2021 Mar. PubMed PMID: 33780481; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC8031952.
- Curtis KC, Fischer K, Choi YJ, Mitreva M, Weil GJ, Fischer PU. Characterization and localization of antigens for serodiagnosis of human paragonimiasis. Parasitol Res. 2021 Feb;120(2):535-545. doi: 10.1007/s00436-020-06990-z. Epub 2021 Jan 8. PubMed PMID: 33415393; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7854406.
- Wanji S, Esum ME, Njouendou AJ, Mbeng AA, Chounna Ndongmo PW, Abong RA, Fru J, Fombad FF, Nchanji GT, Ngongeh G, Ngandjui NV, Enyong PI, Storey H, Curtis KC, Fischer K, Fauver JR, Lew D, Goss CW, Fischer PU. Mapping of lymphatic filariasis in loiasis areas: A new strategy shows no evidence for Wuchereria bancrofti endemicity in Cameroon. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019 Mar;13(3):e0007192. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0007192. eCollection 2019 Mar. PubMed PMID: 30849120; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6436748.