- MD: Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia Facultad de Medicina Alberto Hurtado, Peru (2013)
- MSc Research and Epidemiology: Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia – United States Naval Medical Research Unit 6, Lima Peru (2014)
- Residency: University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX (2019)
Miguel A Chavez, MD, MSc
Instructor in Medicine
- 2013 Clinical Clerkship Scholarship at Yale School of Medicine, Yale University
- 2011 International Clinical Training Travel Award, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Miguel A. Chavez, MD MSc is currently working with the BJH-Antimicrobial Stewardship program and the division of Hospital Medicine in the department of Internal Medicine as an Instructor. Dr. Chavez specializes in clinical infectious diseases, with a special focus on antimicrobial stewardship, hospital epidemiology, infections in immunosuppressed patients, and medical education. He attends on the Bone Marrow Transplant service as a hospitalist and is implementing the antifungal stewardship program at BJH.
He is the co-founder of the Infectious Disease Fellows Network (@ID_fellows), a collaborative platform and community of fellows to improve education among fellows. Through this innovative platform, he is mentoring learners on effective use of social media for medical education.
Outside of medicine and in his spare time, he enjoys traveling, hiking, trying new restaurants, and dancing to Latin music. He is also a big fan of soccer.
- Chavez MA., Munigala S., Burnham CD., Yarbrough ML., Warren D. Real World Evaluation of the Impact of Implementation of the VIRTUO Blood Culture System in a Tertiary Care Hospital. J Clin Microbiol 2021 Aug; 59:10.
- Dong SW, Nolan NS, Chavez MA, Li Y, Escota GV, Stead W. Get Privacy Trending: Best Practices for the Social Media Educator. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021 Feb 18;8(3).
- Chavez MA, White AC Jr. Novel treatment strategies and drugs in development for cryptosporidiosis. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2018 Aug;16(8):655-661.